Lantra Level 2 Certificate in Dry Stone Walling
Trainees who complete this course and pass the assessment will receive their Lantra Level 2 certificate. This physically demanding course consists of eight days of training, and one day of rigorous assessment, taking the form of a seven hour practical test. During the course, you will learn the techniques and skills required to strip down and rebuild 2.5 square metres of dry stone wall, incorporating a cheek end. The test requires you to strip down and rebuild 2.5 square metres of dry stone wall, not less than 1 metre in height, which incorporates a vertical cheek end/wallhead within the allocated seven hours.
The achievement of this test forms the main validation for a professional waller, and will enable you to progress to advanced and master craftsman levels.
Trainees on the course must meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
- Hold a Lantra Level 1 certificate + MINIMUM 6 months’ experience working as a dry stone waller
- MINIMUM 2 years’ experience working as a full time dry stone waller
Applicants must be willing to provide evidence of their dry stone walling experience, be physically fit, and be committed to completing all eight training days, and the assessment day. The standards of walling are those set by the Dry Stone Walling Association (DSWA) of Great Britain, and the course will work only to those standards. Training will be given in all aspects of the correct construction required by the test. Trainees will be expected to assemble a minimum collection of tools, e.g. hammer, lines, tape measure, bucket, spade and pickaxe or similar, but tools will be initially available.
- Perfect for those looking to gain professional Lantra qualifications
- 9 day course (8 days training, 1 day assessment)
- £350 per person (including DSWA Assessment Fee of £150)
- Participants must be physically fit enough to complete nine full days of walling
- The course is taught outside so please bring weather-appropriate clothing: warm clothing / layers, waterproofs, gloves, sturdy shoes/boots, hat, and sun cream.
- You will also need to bring a packed lunch and drinks.
- All other tools and equipment will be provided.
- Portaloos will be provided where toilet facilities are not available, with details provided in course joining instructions.
- Parking will be available with further details provided in the joining instructions.